Indian Mound Cemetery Association
Draft - - - - - a work in progress
The Indian Mound Cemetery Company was formed in 1860 when David Gibson deeded approximately five acres to the Indian Mound Cemetery Company for use as a burial place for white people. In 1925 the old Company and original section of the cemetery were assumed into the Indian Mound Cemetery Association which had purchased five acres from H. C. Cooper adjoining the original section along its northern boundary.
Drawing of old section of cemetery - (back button to return)
IRS listing: 55-0201396 Indian Mound Cemetery Assn Romney WV United States
West Virginia registration downloaded from: http://apps.sos.wv.gov/business/corporations/organization.aspx?org=64034
Indian Mound Cemetery Association Book 130 page 202
Chartered: August 25, 1925 Continues perpetually
Principal Office: Romney, W. Va.
The Agreement of Incorporation lists the purposes as:
- To buy and own land for cemetery purposes
- To sell and convey lots or plots of ground for burial purposes
- To do all other things necessary for the maintenance of a cemetery or burial ground in Hampshire County, West Virginia
G. W. Parsons, T. E. Pownall, B. T. Racey, V. H.[or M] Poling, F. L. Harmison, G. W. Billmyer, J. S. Kuykendall [last page with signatures is dated 21, Aug. 1925 - but 1932 was originally shown but is scratched out, perhaps because the notary's commission expired in 1932.]
Change from Indian Mound Cemetery Company
Sometime around 1928 the new corporation took over the assets of the Indian Mound Cemetery Company. Part of that documentation is in Deed Book 91, Page 371.
Romney Municipal BoundaryClick here to go to page discussing municipal jurisdiction over this historic site.
Drawing of 1909 survey of the municipal boundary of the Town of Romney showing the original part of the cemetery lying outside of the town limits.