The Passing of Important Landmarks
Buildings or sites that are
no longer part of our county life
Also check this page! We will get organized some day.
HistoricHampshire.org has a mission to preserve or archive the history of West Virginia's oldest county. As such we take note of the passing of important landmarks whether they be houses, schools, places of business or other important parts of our way of life. We have here an album of some of those that have passed within recent memory.
We invite you to contact us about lending photos or postcards or other types of images to be scanned and added to our collection. You may contact Charles Hall to inquire about helping with this collection. Thank you.
Lost Post Offices - not just closed, but we don't know where they were
Destroyed Buildings and HousesWe would like to enlarge this section to include all lost buildings in the county; we appreciate your submitting photos or other information!
- The Round Barn, the Romney Water Plant (Civil War trenches), the Opera House (Theater - Ben Franklin Store).
- The old Whitacre home in Capon Bridge. - - Note: Logs for Sale!
- Log house on the turn near the Post Office in Springfield.
- Log house at junction of Rt. 29 and Springfield Grade Road in Springfield.
- Log house in Slanesville across from Church