|Please note that below is the original listing we were given by a local researcher. We have since received updated information based on research into Post Office records that indicates there may be some errors in this listing. We have therefore included the updated information at the bottom of the page. Entries in the original list may now have an asterisk (*) to indicate one should refer to the text at the bottom of the page. We are indebted to Len McMaster for the updated information.|
POSTMASTERS DATE APPOINTED
Bechnal Alverson 05/01/1822*
Discontinued August 17, 1829
Samuel Heiskell 09/17/1829
Changed to Hampshire County, WV in 1863
Joseph A. Vannosdeln 01/08/1866
Changed to NorthRiver Mills on Dec. 5, 1895
William Moreland 12/05/1895
Postmasters from Cold Stream
James E. Cooper 01/30/1857
The Post Office (PO) was initially established as “North River” March 13, 1821, with Elisha Thompson as the first Post Master.
The Post Office Department (POD) records show this P.O. was discontinued in 1822 the same year the North River Mills P.O. opened, suggesting the Post Office was re-established or the name merely changed to North River Mills. The 1822 US Postal Guide (USPG) lists the North River P.O. with Elisha Thompson P.M. as being 120 miles from Washington and 218 miles from Richmond (North River Mills P.O. is not listed).
The 1825 USPG lists North River Mills P.O. with “Beeknall” Alverson PM 120 miles from Washington and 218 miles from Richmond (the same distances resported for North River).
“Bechnal” (the spelling in the P.O. appointment records looks more like “Becknal”) Alverson was appointed P.M. May 11th (not May 1st) 1822. The P. O. Department records also lists a “C. Heiskell” with Becknal Alverson; no reason is given for two names.
William Dougherty was appointed P.M. Dec. 31, 1826 (not 1825).
On December 5, 1895, the name was changed to Northriver Mills. When zip codes were established the one for Northriver Mills was 26744.
Miss Audra V. McDonald was appointed acting P.M. Mar. 26th (not 25th), 1949.
Mrs. Betty L Miller appointed Post Master oon Feb. 28, 1971.
Northriver Mills P.O. was discontinued Sep. 30, 1972 with the mail routed to Capon Bridge.