Historic Hampshire County, WV
West Virginia's Oldest County
 
 

Romney, West Virginia's Oldest Town


Although it was not the first settled community in West Virginia, Romney does have the distinction of being the first town in what is now West Virginia to have been incorporated.  It is now the county seat of Hampshire County.  Sometimes people look at the county map and wonder why the county seat is not in the center of the county.  When it was first established, Hampshire County encompassed all of what is now Mineral County, half of Morgan county and most of Hardy County.  At that time Romney sat somewhat in the middle of the county. For a detailed history of the founding of Romney, click here.

The Hampshire County Courthouse with the old Rexall store to the right.
More photos of the Courthouse can be found here .


Taggart Hall Visitor Center


Main building of the Schools for the Deaf and Blind
For information of the Schools for the Deaf and Blind Click Here.
 


The home used as Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters

 

bic-myt.jpg
The Wilson-Woodrow-Mytinger House is actually three buildings joined to form one house. The earliest segment is the center section which was built about 1750. The front section, the largest, is used as the main living quarters. To the rear is the "office" built by Andrew Woodrow, clerk of the Hampshire County Court. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places .

 

home page

2000 Charles C. Hall.
All rights reserved. updated: 11/30/11
www.historichampshire.org