On July 10, 1939, the day of Secretary Swanson's funeral, the Navy Department announced that destroyer Number DD443 would be named for the Secretary. The ship was allocated for construction at Charleston Navy Yard and was expected to be completed in late 1941. In fact the ship was launched November 2, 1940 and commissioned May 29, 1941.
During the war, the ship served in both the Atlantic and Pacific theaters and was awarded eight battle stars. The USS Swanson was decommissioned on December 10, 1945; she was struck from the Navy list on March 1, 1971.
Note: Below are large photos; they take time to load. Please be patient. Because of the size of the following photos, the regular table format will stop here.